19 Jan 2010

Political Science

This Labour government is so awful I cannot wait for it to go. Please, please, please, election come and put us all out of our misery. The only problem is that the incoming Tory administration is likely to be just as bad, if not worse. I saw this table, culled from Ellee Seymour's excellent blog, and it filled me with a sense of foreboding. Just who are these people? You can just see that come 2014, or 2015 or whenever the election after next happens, we will still be arguing about the same things. Like "Is climate change even happening?" Or "How can we ditch Europe?" How I long for a breath of fresh air.

4 comments:

  1. Two things need to change for change to ever stand a hope in hell of happening.


    people need to stop treating political parties like they do football clubs "I've always voted x, so i will always vote x".

    And they need to start voting for the party they agree with, not "I will vote conservative because i don't want labour to win".

    I don't expect either to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd felt a similar thing when I saw that table as well. Its almost the complete antithesis of what I intend to be voting on. Climate change is one of my key voting issues and, as a younger - post-property boom, person I'm also concerned about high property prices (I still feel that they are massively overpriced when compared to average incomes). The very two subjects that the Tories are least interested in. Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Mark, and the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a fairer (e.g., more proportional, STV) voting system to stir up things a bit? Perhaps one that actually extracts at least some information from voters about their real political preferences? Our current first-past-the-post system is the oldest and most primitive, outdated choice available and in effect only asks voters who they believe to have a realistic chance of wining a seat, rather than whose policies they really prefer.

    Scotland, New Zealand, Australia, and many other places have shows us already long ago how to do this properly. It is time to ditch first-past-the-post.

    http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/
    http://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/es

    ReplyDelete